The rapid growth of cancer cases in all age groups has become a public health concern for our nation. With over 1.5 million cases registered every year, the burden of cancer has been rising rapidly in India. While some cancers are caught and treated in the early stages, others are more complex and often go undetected till it’s too late.
Blood cancer is one such type that affects more than 70,000 men and women every year and accounts for about 30 % of all cancers in children. With these cancers continuing to impact the lives of so many people, it’s essential that we understand the disease and learn more about the haematology oncology treatment in Jaipur
What is Blood cancer?
Blood cancer is an umbrella term used for cancers that affect the production and function of blood cells. Also known as hematologic cancer, these cancers start in the bone marrow or the lymphatic system and affect the production of blood cells. It is caused by the growth of abnormal blood cells, which interrupt the function of normal blood cells and the body’s immune system.
It is one of the most common areas of cancer in children, which prevents their blood from performing many functions, like fighting off infections or stopping bleeding. There common types of blood cancers are lymphoma, leukaemia, and Multiple Myeloma as per their rates of occurrence.
What are the types of Blood cancer?
- Leukaemia: It begins in the bone marrow and causes abnormal production of white blood cells. However, these extra white blood cells don’t work right and hinder the body’s ability to fight infection.
- Lymphoma: It originates in infection-fighting cells of the immune system, called lymphocytes. It affects the body’s lymphatic system, which causes the lymphocytes to change and grow out of control.
- Myeloma: It begins in a type of white blood cell called a plasma cell, which helps in the production of antibodies that recognize and attack germs. In multiple myeloma, these cancerous plasma cells accumulate in the bone marrow and overpower healthy blood cells, resulting in a weakened immune system.
The most common type of blood cancer is lymphoma, followed by leukaemia and multiple myeloma. For any of these cancers, you must consult the best cancer surgeons in Jaipur
regarding further treatment.
What are the common symptoms?
Blood cancers are challenging to detect in the early stages as it causes symptoms that are similar to many other illnesses. While each type of blood cancer causes specific symptoms, there are a few common symptoms all of them share. These common symptoms of blood cancer are:
- Night sweats
- Fever or chills
- Frequent infections
- Shortness of breath
- Itchy skin or rashes
- Chest pain
- Weakness and fatigue
- Loss of appetite or nausea
- Swelling of the lymph nodes
However, these symptoms may vary from patient to patient. In some blood cancers, prominent
symptoms like stomach pain and joint pains are more common. In others, symptoms like fatigue, bruising & bleeding and repeated infections could be a sign of the early stage of blood cancer. Hence, when any of these signs occur, you should seek medical help at our cancer surgery hospital in Jaipur
for blood cancer treatment.
What are the causes of blood cancer?
While there are no specific causes of these malignancies, certain factors can contribute to the development of blood cancer. These causes are:
- Age: Some types of blood cancers only affect people within an age limit, like leukaemia, which occurs among children below 14 or adults above 40.
- Tobacco: Regular consumption of tobacco weakens the immune system and damages DNA, making you more susceptible to blood cancer.
- Alcohol: According to studies, heavy drinking interferes with new cell production in your bone marrow and can cause blood cancers.
- Radiation Exposure: Exposure to harmful radiation and chemicals can damage the DNA, which increases the risk of blood cancer.
- Family history: A history of haematological diseases in the family can increase the risk of developing blood cancer.
What are treatment options for blood cancer?
Our haematology oncology treatment in Jaipur aims to cure and improve the life quality of blood cancer patients by providing blood cancer treatment and personalised care. But in most cases, blood Cancer patients require bone marrow transplants to relieve the symptoms and lead a longer life. Due to a lack of awareness and misconceptions around bone marrow donation, we have a long road ahead of us.
However, more than 30% of cancer can be preventable if we take the necessary measure in the early stages. Hence, by raising awareness and providing education programs about risks, prevention, and bone marrow donation, we can minimise the risk of blood cancer in India.